Print Page      Close Window     

SEC Filings

10-Q
IHS MARKIT LTD. filed this Form 10-Q on 03/26/2019
Entire Document
 

price equal to 101 percent of the principal amount thereof, plus accrued and unpaid interest to the date of purchase. The indenture contains covenants that limit our ability to, among other things, incur or create liens and enter into sale and leaseback transactions. In addition, the indenture contains a covenant that limits our ability to consolidate or merge with another entity or to sell all or substantially all of our assets to another entity. The indenture contains customary default provisions. The fair value of the 4.75% Notes due 2028 as of February 28, 2019 was approximately $760.0 million.

As of February 28, 2019, we were in compliance with all of our debt covenants. We have classified short-term debt based on scheduled loan payments and intended repayments on our revolving facility based on expected cash availability over the next 12 months.

The carrying values of our variable rate debt instruments approximate their fair value because of the variable interest rates associated with those instruments. The fair values of the senior notes were measured using observable inputs in markets that are not active; consequently, we have classified those notes within Level 2 of the fair value hierarchy.

4.
Derivatives

Our business is exposed to various market risks, including interest rate and foreign currency risks. We utilize derivative instruments to help us manage these risks. We do not hold or issue derivatives for speculative purposes.

Interest Rate Swaps

To mitigate interest rate exposure on our outstanding revolving facility debt, we utilize interest rate derivative contracts that effectively swap $400 million of floating rate debt at a 2.86 percent weighted-average fixed interest rate, plus the applicable spread on our floating rate debt. We entered into these swap contracts in November 2013 and January 2014, and the contracts expire between May and November 2020.

Because the terms of these swaps and the variable rate debt (as amended or extended over time) coincide, we do not expect any ineffectiveness. We have designated and accounted for these instruments as cash flow hedges, with changes in fair value being deferred in AOCI in our consolidated balance sheets.

Foreign Currency Forwards

To mitigate foreign currency exposure, we utilize short-term foreign currency forward contracts that manage market risks associated with fluctuations in balances that are denominated in currencies other than the local functional currency. We account for these forward contracts at fair value and recognize the associated realized and unrealized gains and losses in other expense, net, since we have not designated these contracts as hedges for accounting purposes. The notional amount of these outstanding foreign currency forward contracts was $435.0 million and $500.1 million as of February 28, 2019 and November 30, 2018, respectively.

Fair Value of Derivatives

Since our derivative instruments are not listed on an exchange, we have evaluated fair value by reference to similar transactions in active markets; consequently, we have classified all of our derivative instruments within Level 2 of the fair value measurement hierarchy. As of February 28, 2019 and November 30, 2018, we had assets of $10.4 million and $0.2 million, respectively, which were classified within other current assets, and we had liabilities of $1.7 million and $1.6 million, respectively, which were classified within other accrued expenses and other liabilities.
 
5.
Acquisition-related Costs

During the three months ended February 28, 2019, we incurred approximately $22.8 million in costs associated with acquisitions and divestitures, of which $15.3 million was performance compensation expense related to the automotiveMastermind (“aM”) acquisition described below, and the remainder was associated with employee severance charges and retention costs, contract termination costs for facility consolidations, and legal and professional fees. Approximately $2.4 million of the total charge was allocated to shared services, with $15.3 million of the charge recorded in the Transportation segment, $4.6 million in the Financial Services segment, and the remainder in the Resources and CMS segments.

In September 2017, we acquired aM, a leading provider of predictive analytics and marketing automation software for the automotive industry. We purchased approximately 78 percent of aM at that time. In exchange for the remaining 22 percent of

15